The following is a press release issued by UVM regarding the events…
For four Saturdays in July, UVM’s Redstone Pinegrove will be transformed into a giant outdoor theater and music stage when UVM Summer University and the UVM Lane Series once again presents Film + Music on a Summer Night. The concerts and movie screenings, which are free and open to the public, will take place in the pine grove between the UVM Recital Hall and the Patrick Gymnasium on four Saturdays in July, beginning July 8, 2006. This is the festival’s second summer season.
The films and music are thematically linked and the theme this summer is American Road Trip.
The films will be projected with state of the art equipment and a top quality sound system on a giant screen hung from the back of the UVM Recital Hall. Movies will be begin after dark, about 9:00 p.m., and will be preceded by a live musical event at 7:00 pm also free. The grounds will open for picnicking at 6:00 p.m. The event is alcohol-free and family friendly. Parking is available at the new Gutterson garage – a short walk to the site.In the event of rain, the event will move indoors to the Recital Hall, with the first 320 attendees admitted. For more information call the Lane Series at 656-4455 or visit www.uvm.edu/laneseries. Film and Music on a Summer Night is sponsored by Verizon.
Films and live performances are scheduled on Saturday nights as follows:
- Music at 7:00 – Big Spike Bluegrass Band – One of Vermont’s musical treasures: a world class traditional bluegrass ensemble.
- Film at 9:00 – Field of Dreams – fathers, sons, baseball, Iowa – a summer classic.
- Music at 7:00 – Rani Arbo and Daisy Mayhem – a great fiddler and sultry singer whose music crosses the boundries between folk, swing and old-time roots.
- Film at 9:00 – Sullivan’s Travels – A Screwball Comedy from 1941 with a twist by the great director Preston Sturges.
- Music at 7:00 – The Wiyos – Young Brooklyn band, Old-Time music, lots of fun.
- Film at 9:00 – O Brother, Where Art Thou? They have a plan, but not a clue!